Thursday, April 14, 2011

Empty Vessels


On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine gave out, the mother of Jesus said to him, ‘They have no wine.’ And Jesus said to her, ‘Woman, what concern is that to you and to me? My hour has not yet come.’ His mother said to the servants, ‘Do whatever he tells you.’ Now standing there were six stone water-jars for the Jewish rites of purification, each holding twenty or thirty gallons. Jesus said to them, ‘Fill the jars with water.’ And they filled them up to the brim. He said to them, ‘Now draw some out, and take it to the chief steward.’ So they took it. When the steward tasted the water that had become wine, and did not know where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), the steward called the bridegroom and said to him, ‘Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the inferior wine after the guests have become drunk. But you have kept the good wine until now.’ Jesus did this, the first of his signs, in Cana of Galilee, and revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.

John 2:1-11

JESUS needs you to be an EMPTY VESSEL (CONTAINER) so that He can fill you with His goodness and use you daily to be a blessing to others. What kind of vessel are you? There are many types…some are big, some are small, some are ornate while others are ordinary. Some are so pretty you just sit them on a shelf and never use them because you don’t want to break them. Others are used constantly being emptied and filled again on a regular basis. Still others look pretty but they are full of holes and when they are filled, everything spills out through the holes so they can’t really be used for much of anything. Think about your life… do you daily ask Jesus to fill you and use you as He will? Are you willing to be poured out as a blessing to others? Or do you prefer to sit on shelf looking pretty but no of no practical use?




1 comment:

Culture Dove said...

FROM THE PHYSICAL VIGIL:

*Lord, fill me and use me as you will

*Lord teach me to be a ready vessel! Emptied our and refilled with your goodness so I might be of daily use to you

*What used to fill my life with meaning and value - that I could offer - is no more. I pray to discern what kind of vessel I am NOW and make it useful.

*This is my first time here. I find this experience totally overwhelming

*Teach me to obey Christ without doubt or questions

*Dear Lord fill me with your light and grace. Let me go forward to share your glory! I give you praise and worship at your feet. Hosanna in the highest

*Goodnes and joyfulness need not be be cancelled out by the stress of the situation

*This is a wonderful idea. I'm glad to have experienced this