Sunday, April 10, 2011

Empty Grave

After all this, Joseph of Arimathea (he was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, because he was intimidated by the Jews) petitioned Pilate to take the body of Jesus. Pilate gave permission. So Joseph came and took the body. Nicodemus, who had first come to Jesus at night, came now in broad daylight carrying a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds. They took Jesus' body and, following the Jewish burial custom, wrapped it in linen with the spices. There was a garden near the place he was crucified, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been placed. So, because it was Sabbath preparation for the Jews and the tomb was convenient, they placed Jesus in it.

John 19:38-42

Pick up the candle, enter the tomb by gently pushing aside the black covering. Sit on the bench and contemplate this: "There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. You feel it don't you?" - Rumi

2 comments:

Culture Dove said...

FROM THE PHYSICAL VIGIL:

*The reality of the tomb: emptiness brought me to a place where I truly wanted all that was old in me to pass; my old burdens of unforgiveness of self and others. I truly want to behold all things are new: freedom and liberty. I want to believe in resurrection power. I do not want to fake at it. I need it to be real. I need to see it in myself and others.

*Lord I pray that you empty my hear that has been filled with anger and bitterness from childhood replacing it with your forgiveness and love

*All worth changes - often in a flash

*You Lord are the missing piece. I have a void in my heart that has waited for 20 years. Please come and fill this void for me. You are the only one to fill it: your spirit, your love. Praise God!

Culture Dove said...

FROM THE PHYSICAL VIGIL:

*Sitting in the tomb - I feel close to Jesus - I pray he will answer my prayer

*My God, my God, how truly lost and void I feel/am, I have been so good at saying and doing all the right things in order to look like I have it all together. Even here, writing what I think I should. Dear Lord please help me. I feel so far from you. I have forgotten how to stop and listen for your guidance. My heart is so sad and I fell like such a shell of a person. I forgot what passion is and how powerful a motivator to making needed changes. Please help remove my fears and worries. I'm so scared all the time. I don't know how I got here to this place of uncertainty. I so year to be resurrected and free from all this pain.