Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Empty Nets

When he finished teaching, he said to Simon, "Push out into deep water and let your nets out for a catch."

Simon said, "Master, we've been fishing hard all night and haven't caught even a minnow. But if you say so, I'll let out the nets." It was no sooner said than done—a huge haul of fish, straining the nets past capacity. They waved to their partners in the other boat to come help them. They filled both boats, nearly swamping them with the catch.

Luke 5:4-6

Sometimes Jesus leads us to do what is contrary to what we think is best. The disciples knew better than to cast a net one more time. They had caught nothing so far. But what if they had? What if they had a decent catch for the day? If their nets had not been empty they could not have received the abundance God wanted them to have.


2 comments:

Culture Dove said...

FROM THE PHYSICAL VIGIL:

*I empty myself to be filled by you.

Culture Dove said...

FROM THE PHYSICAL VIGIL:

*My nets stayed empty; no children to bear. I still wait to be filled.

*When we humans say "no more" God says "one more time" The one more equals success through faith in God

*So often I fail to go where you say. So often I fail to do what you want. I don't because I think it might make me look silly to others. Help me to act more, to listen more.

*I have tried it my way for so long. Now I turn over my soul to Jesus for his will to be done. I have learned a great lesson this Lent that he will try and try until he gets through to us. He has stopped me in my tracks. He is through. He is leading me now.