Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Empty Purse

Jesus looked up and saw the rich people dropping offerings in the collection plate. Then he saw a poor widow put in two pennies. He said, "The plain truth is that this widow has given by far the largest offering today. All these others made offerings that they'll never miss; she gave extravagantly what she couldn't afford—she gave her all!"
Luke 22:1-4

Take ALL the money you have on you right now out of your pockets. (no we are not asking you for it) If you have credit cards, take those out too! Count it, think about what this represents. Is this all that you have? When you give of yourself do you give your all or do you hold back? Do you give what you won’t miss?

1 comment:

Culture Dove said...

FROM THE PHYSICAL VIGIL:

*Dear God, help us to not need so many material things

*Only you know what we have to give. So many tugs at our pocketbooks for work that is not your own. Help me discern

*I am moved that someone gave the widow another 2 coins! Help me to give without reservation.

*We have so much to give but do we? Let me not be selfish and help me to share with the less fortunate

*To learn and know the difference between true basic necessity and all the rest which is wants, luxuries and indulgences, or worse, entitlements - this is a discernment to cultivate. Lord, help me to act on this awareness.

*I have so much compared to many in the world. Please help me to share more with others.

*Help me to share more of what I have with others. To continue to give with an open heart and opened arms. I am truly blessed with more than enough to share.

*God has given me sings to stop and reflect. Now that I have stopped all this noise I can truly hear and follow him. My life is in his hands it is no longer my own.

*God gives us abundantly. God's gifts have no limits. We hold back with human fear. If we truly trust we give our all knowing God will provide.