Friday, April 6, 2012

Baptism

Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.”

    Come to the water. Mixed into this blessed water are a few drops from the river where Jesus was baptized, the Jordan. Consider how you are baptized in Christ. Just as the drops can never be removed again, so are we all bound into the Body of Christ through baptism. Gaze into the water, see the “one in whom God is well pleased.”

2 comments:

Culture Dove said...

Comment left at the physical vigil:

*Feels like being baptized and renewed all over again in the name of the father. Amen.

Ian Lynch said...

I took this picture on Thursday while splitting my time between set up for the vigil and responding to the brush fire in town in my role as fire chaplain (the evidence is the reflection of my bunker coat in the mirror). It seems appropriate that this is the threshold containing the life-giving, fire-quenching water.