Friday, April 10, 2009

Burdens

As they led him off, they made Simon, a man from Cyrene who happened to be coming in from the countryside, carry the cross behind Jesus. A huge crowd of people followed, along with women weeping and carrying on. At one point Jesus turned to the women and said, "Daughters of Jerusalem, don't cry for me. Cry for yourselves and for your children. The time is coming when they'll say, 'Lucky the women who never conceived! Lucky the wombs that never gave birth! Lucky the breasts that never gave milk!' Then they'll start calling to the mountains, 'Fall down on us!' calling to the hills, 'Cover us up!' If people do these things to a live, green tree, can you imagine what they'll do with deadwood?"

Luke 23:26-31

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Matt 11:28-30


Let the rocks symbolize your burdens, your sins, your worries. Name them, attach them to a rock and leave it at the cross.

BURDEN VISION

I was holding an immense amount of bags in both hands and I was aware of how much my shoulders, neck and back hurt from carrying the large and heavy packages. Yet I hung onto them and would not put them down. Before me stood Jesus at the foot of a huge cross. He was beckoning me to come to him; gently calling me to come and lay my burdens down before the cross. The following is the conversation we had:

C: Come to me, lay your burdens down

M: I can't they are too heavy, too many

C: Come

M: I can't, you can't really remove them because they are too complicated. They are so many.

C: Come to me. I will take them

M: I can't, I don’t know how to, they are who I am, I don't know how to be without them

C: I will show you who you can be

M: I'm afraid, what will happen to me if I lay them down? What if I can't feel anymore?

C: Don’t be afraid, I will be with you

M: I'm afraid I won't feel YOU anymore if I lay them down

C: Come lay them down… let me show you how it can be

M: But I have carried them so long that I am in great physical pain, I can't even move to bring them to you, it's no use

C: Let me carry them for you

M: No, there are so many more people whose burdens are so much greater than mine. What right do I have to even ask you for help, You should be helping them.

C: I am strong enough to carry all burdens, let me take them for you


At this point he moved to my side to take the packages from me. I resist again and struggle with him,

M: No they are mine. I can handle it, really. I have no right to be free of them.

C: Let me help you, let me take them to the cross for you

M: No!

C: Fine…


He then goes to the cross and picks it up. He struggles because it is very heavy, but he carries the cross to me and sets it right before me and then says:


C: There! Now you may release them, your burdens are before the cross

M: But why? Why would you do this for me? I don't deserve to have you do this. I am an awful person. I yelled at people today, I said bad things, I swore and ranted and raved with someone I shouldn’t have, I was a bad example of your love. I have too many dark things that I am ashamed of.

C: I forgive you.

M: Why? Why would you do this? I don’t deserve this.

C: Because I love you. Because I want you to let me love you. (His hand gently touched mine on the packages)

C: Let go

At that, I released my grip and the packages dropped. I fell into his arms and he hugged me and held me and let me cry. I felt his tears on my face and my hair and I realized he was crying too. Not tears of sadness, but of relief, of Joy. Slowly, I lifted my head and looked into his eyes. He was smiling. The most amazing loving smile.


2 comments:

Culture Dove said...

FROM THE PHYSICAL VIGIL:

Thank you for this powerful expression.

Culture Dove said...

FROM THE PHYSICAL VIGIL:

*Jesus on the cross. That was the price of sin. Thank you Lord for being the God to whom we can come with our burdens, and who will take them, like sin, away for eternity.

*the stones at the foot of the cross - how immense the burden you bear for us all.

*You bear my deepest burdens and bid me come to you. Your grace is overwhelming.